KITCHEN SINK BUYING GUIDE
A kitchen sink can make or break your kitchen’s design, so it’s important to find the right one.
In the following section, we’re going to explain what to look for in a good kitchen sink, and how to find the right one for your home.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE BUYING A KITCHEN SINK
1.KITCHEN SINK STYLE
If you’re looking for a kitchen sink, you surely noticed that they come in different styles. Some of them have a single bowl, while others have two. There are even kitchen sinks that come with three bowls, but those are only a few of those, and we didn’t find any of them practical.
So, which one would be better for your home? Well, let’s take a look at their pros and cons, and you can decide which you prefer yourself.
– Most of the kitchen sink you’ll find on the market have a single sink. Some of them have a large sink, while others have a smaller one. You should choose the right size depending on your available space and the counters you use. Single sinks are easy to install, and they tend to be cheaper than a double sink model of a similar size.
Single sinks are great for small kitchens, and they are easy to maintain. One of the disadvantages of using a single sink is that it’s more difficult to clean larger dishes when the sink is full. It’s difficult, but you’ll surely find a solution, so you have nothing to worry about.
–Double sinks tend to be larger than single ones, and they are usually more expensive than a single sink model of a similar size.
The main advantage of having a double sink is that it gives you the ability to store the dirty dishes in one part of the sink, and clean them in another. The main disadvantage of using such a sink is that they’re usually installed with the faucet between the basins. The problem with this type of installation is that the wall separating the bowls will limit your movements when you’re trying to clean larger pots. You could remove this problem altogether if you install the faucet above one of the sinks.
– Round sinks are not very popular, but they can look impressive. As a matter of fact, looks are their only advantage. If you install a round sink on a countertop, you’ll notice that some of the space is wasted. Another problem you might encounter when choosing a round sink is that you’ll need a custom counter to install it on. Most counters have a cut-out rectangular space for the sink, so you will need one that doesn’t have one.
– Farmhouse sinks are very popular these days, and it’s easy to understand why. First of all, farmhouse sinks look great. They come with an apron that has the same finish as the sink. The apron will make your counters look better, and it will enhance your kitchen’s design.
Farmhouse sinks are also very functional. Unlike other sink types, they are deep, and they have an under-mount design. The design will allow you to wipe the scraps on the counters directly into the sink. The deep basin will provide more clearance under the faucet, so you’ll have an easier time cleaning larger pots and pans.
The single disadvantage you might encounter when using a farmhouse sink is that the apron tends to get scratched over time. You might not be able to tell at first, but every time you bend over the sink, your legs and waist come in contact with the apron. This can lead to scratches because your belt buckle or other metal accessories might touch the apron.
Choosing the right material is very important when you’re buying a kitchen sink. First of all, the material will greatly influence the sink’s durability. Second, the material will influence the sink’s maintenance. The material will also improve the way the sink matches your kitchen’s decor, but since most sinks come in various colors and finishes, you will be able to find the right one no matter which material you choose.
– This is one of the most popular materials used for kitchen sinks. For one, this material looks great in most kitchen decors, no matter if you’re going for a modern or a classic look. They are also durable, and they will last a long time.
Unlike the stainless steel kitchen sinks of old, new models come with thick rubber pads that absorb the vibrations produced when you’re using the sink. This will make the sinks silent, so you won’t experience any discomfort when you’re using them.
No matter how thick the steel they’re made of is, every stainless steel sink has the same weakness. That weakness is their finish. Stainless steel sinks are notoriously easy to scratch, and they will do so on every occasion. This is why most of them come with bottom grids. You should always use the bottom grids to avoid scratches.
Stainless steel is also worse than other materials at hiding water stains and fingerprints, so you will need to clean it more often. Fortunately, using only one wet and one dry cloth can make this material look as good as new.
– Granite sinks are gaining popularity over other materials, and it’s easy to see why. They look amazing, and they’re extremely durable. Most granite sinks are made out of a combination of acrylic and at least 80% granite. This composite is very durable, scratch-proof, and even fire-proof.
Granite sinks come in a large variety of colors, and they are great for both modern and classic kitchens. They look amazing when installed on island counters, and they will enhance your kitchen’s design. They are also very easy to maintain, and they are good at hiding spots and fingerprints, so you don’t have to clean them too frequently.
– These sinks are made out of a composite that combines acrylic with polyester resins, quartz, or granite. They are lighter than granite sinks, but they are still very durable. They are scratch-resistant, and they come in multiple colors.
3.SIZE AND CONFIGURATION
You should determine the size of the faucet you want to install by comparing it with the one you already have, and by measuring the counters you have. If you’re planning on remodeling your whole kitchen, you can choose the sink and then buy the counters accordingly. We can’t tell you which size to choose, but we can tell you that larger sinks usually look better.
If you don’t have enough space to install a large sink, but you’re still willing to make an impression on your guests, you should choose a sink with an interesting configuration. Some models come with two asymmetric basins. Others come with curved lines or interesting colors.
You should always choose a model that enhances your kitchen’s design. If you don’t know what style or configuration to choose, and you want to choose the safest one, you should choose a stainless steel model. Stainless steel sinks have been around for a long time, and they will be used for a long time to come, so you can rest assured they won’t fall out of fashion.